Call: 0161 835 9872

or email:


What will I have to pay for a solicitor?

In the police station it is free for everyone.

In the Magistrates Court, the majority of our cases are funded by legal aid, some clients, if earning over a certain amount may need to pay privately, our solicitors can advise you of our rates and charges.

In the Crown Court everyone is entitled to legal aid, however those who earn over a certain amount of money may have to make a contribution towards the cost, which is refunded if you are found not guilty.

Will I go to prison?

Obviously every case is different and our experienced solicitors will be able to advise you on the possible sentence of any charge you may face. No one case is the same and there are lots of factors that are taken into account when a judge or magistrate considers sentence. Our solicitors aim is to get the best result that they can for their client and that doesn’t just stop once a case has been decided by the court. We make sure that the best mitigation is put to the court for the client so that they have the best chance of getting the lowest sentence possible for their case.

Who should I talk to about my case?

In the first instance you should call us and our friendly and knowledgeable staff will be able to identify the best person for you to talk to and you can either initially talk on the phone with them or make an appointment to come and see us at our office on Deansgate in Manchester. Contact us on 0161 835 9872.

My friend or family member has been arrested, what should I do?

In the first instance call us as soon as you can, our office number diverts to an out of hours solicitor from this firm who will be happy to make some enquiries and represent your friend or family member for free at the police station, if required.

I was interviewed at the police station and bailed, what should I do now?

You will need to attend back at the police station at the time and date stated on your bail sheet, however you should call us and we can make enquires with the police on your behalf to find out what is happening with the investigation and whether the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) have made a decision about what to do next. We may be able to avoid you having to attend the police station if they have not made a decision yet.

I have received a summons to go to court, what should I do?

Call us and let us know what the summons says. We will be able to advise you at this point on the best way of dealing with the matter and discuss your options for funding.

I have been charged with an offence and bailed to go to court, what should I do?

You must attend court. Call us and we can make an appointment for you to discuss your case with one of our solicitors we can discuss your options with you and apply for funding and represent you at court.

I am not happy with my current solicitor but they hold the legal aid order, what can I do?

There has to be a good reason for the court to transfer a representation order for legal aid from one solicitor to another, however there are certain circumstances where this does happen. We know just how important it is for you to trust and have confidence in your solicitor, especially when there is so much at stake. If you are unhappy with your current solicitor you can call us in confidence and we can advise you if there are any steps you can take.

I have received a letter from the council regarding my benefits, they want to interview me under caution, what should I do?

Call us and we can advise and assist you before and during the interview. With this support you will be able to take the best course of action based on our advice with us to help you along the way. You should not be interviewed under caution without the help and advice of your own solicitor. This service is free to most people.

My case is now over but I have been told there is a POCA, what does this mean?

POCA stands for Proceeds of Crime Application and is a hearing at the Crown Court to decide whether someone who has pleaded guilty or been found guilty of a criminal offence should hand over any money to the Crown if they decide it was made due to criminal activity. For example, if a person is found guilty of supplying drugs the prosecution will use an expert to determine how much money they think that person will have made from that offence. It is extremely important that you have a solicitor with experience in this area of expertise so that they can guide you through the process and represent your best interests. The court can order that any assets can be taken from you in order to pay this money back, this can mean losing your house, car or other significant item of value.  Maguires Solicitors have dealt with numerous POCA cases and successfully reduced the amounts to be handed over significantly and sometimes even to zero.

I have been ordered to hand money over to the Crown after my POCA hearing, what can I do if I do not have the funds to pay for it?

In some instances it may be possible to appeal the POCA order, you should call us for further advice on this matter and an experienced solicitor will discuss any options with you.

Can I talk to my solicitor in complete confidence? 

Yes, anything that you tell us is completely confidential, please see our page on confidentiality

I have heard that someone is going to report me to the police, what can I do?

You can call us and let us know the circumstances of the situation and if appropriate we can contact the police on your behalf. Every situation like this is different so the best think to do is give us a call and we can advise you further.